Jan 2, 2011

Orval Jordan Barnes

Our dear grandpa passed away on November 17. He was 88 yrs and 4 months to the day. He served in WWII jumping out of planes right into the war zone. He is a hero to so many people. He was one of the 101st Screamin Eagles. I wish I would have known more of this stuff before he passed away. He just wouldn't talk about it. He and my grandma have 167? Great-grand children. 2 great great grand kids and many grand kids. They each had 6 children making 12. My mom's father passed away when my grandma was pregnant with my mom. We were very close to Grandpa Barnes and even closer to my Grandma Barnes. I try to call her every night. Just to see how her day was and to let her know I am thinking of her. I have missed twice since my Grandpa passed and I felt terrible! She is one of the strongest and sweetest person I will ever know. Her and my Grandpa were so cute together. He would always tease her and get upset because she is a little forgetful. They had a lot of patience for each other. A lot of love too! Grandpa Barnes will forever be missed. We love you Grandpa! My sisters and parents. The whole family.
This is right after the guard gave my grandma the flag and the shells from the service they had for my Grandpa.
Here the guard is honoring my grandpa by shooting their rifles. Not sure what it is called. It was so amazing. I could not stop crying.
The Martinez girls at the viewing. At this point, I am still in shock, it doesn't REALLY hit me until the next day when they closed his casket and I watched my Grandma tell her sweetheart good bye for the last time here on earth. I still cry when I think about it. I was holding Tay and sobbing and she begins crying and drawing more attention! I was trying to comfort her and calm myself down at the same time. It doesn't matter what age you are, death is a hard thing to deal with. So many people came and showed their love and respect. We are so grateful to have OJ as our grandpa! It is a true honor.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm really sorry Deanna. I hate death. I think that the hardest thing is when they close the casket. Watching my dad kiss my mom goodbye was the sadest thing I've ever witnessed. Sorry you had to experience it.

Grand Pooba said...

De, I know how much you love your Grandparents! This has got to be so hard for you and your family. It is so nice that you guys take such good care of your grandma!