Apr 4, 2011

He is doing better!

JD was in ICU for one day and now we are in his room. He did so well. We are so grateful. We know it is because of all the thoughts and prayers for him and our family. He looked pretty good that first day and then the next day he got really swollen. His right eye was swollen shut and you couldn't even see his long eyelashes. It bothered him a lot. I felt really bad. But early this morning, He was able to open it a crack and it looks even better now! He has had one yogurt and maybe two chocolate milks since Thurs night. He finally got up today and walked from the toilet to the bed. He was hurting so much, but he did it! We are so proud of him. He barely moves at all. His head, stomach, legs, right hand all hurt. I feel so bad for him. I wish I could take it away. He has been through so much. The plan is to watch him, get his meningitis under control and then put a shunt in. It sounds like he will have this shunt in for a LONG time. What is a shunt? It is a drain under his skin that begins at his brain and ends in his tummy. It drains extra spinal fluid (CSF) . I have mixed emotions about him having it in for so long. But it will be for the best. We don't want any reoccurring leaks. He played the X-Box for the first time today and he has napped a lot too. I had the docs switch from Morphine to Tortol pain meds. He has weird nightmares on the Morphine. He did 3 1/2 years ago too. He sleeps much better now! I am glad there are choices out there. We tried Lortab 3 days ago, but that is by mouth and he just threw it up. He has nothing in his stomach, so he can't handle that yet. It is nice to see him starting to do things he enjoys again. JD has been taken care of (spoiled) by so many people! My friend, Denise came to visit with Legos for JD, and the sweetheart she is, came back a little while later and brought pillows, pillow cases, a sign that says "Bless the family gathered here" some flowers to brighten the room, a mattress, blankets, a Superman blanket for JD... She goes above and beyond. Thanks Nise! Josh came today with Bryson and I was able to go to the JCC to workout. It felt really good! I ran on Sun too, (I know it was the Sabbath) I needed to walk after 2 minutes. I am such a fatty outta shape girl! I can't believe how bad I am now. Sitting in the hospital this long is not good for a person who finds a release in eating food and I am too cheap to fork out the dough to buy healthier food. Plus chocolate just tastes so good!

2 comments:

Lyndsi said...

Seriously. Chocolate is the perfect food. Yes, I said food. Not treat. And I think you should eat it for every meal just because you have been in the hospital for three months now! :)

I'm so glad that JD is doing so well and that he can finally see. I hope you guys get to come home soon and get life back to normal! I miss seeing you around! I'm sure you wish the same thing.

At least there is an end in sight right now and everything seems to be under control. :) Keep hanging in there Dee (and Josh). All will get back to normal at some point!

Brooke said...

You are in my prayers still doll!! I am up that way just about everyday, let me know if there is anything you need!! Just shoot me a FB or an email!!