Now I will tell you a lil bit about Mexico. We are cheap, so we didn't do any excursions although, we almost rented a Rhino and drove around. It was a lil scary though. You just go on the roads to get to the beach. I wanted to get some things for the kids, friends, family just lil stuff while we were there. We didn't have any cash so I wanted to find a store to buy lotion and use my card to get cash back. First I tried asking a couple who lived there where a store was. They didn't speak English. I said "like a Wal-mart". They were like ohh Wal-mart. From their expressions, I could tell it was on the other side of town. I said, "not wal-mart, just a store like wal-mart". They didn't know what I was saying, We said "thank-you" and left. Then there was a lil girl and boy selling necklaces and bracelets. We bought one with our only change for a dollar. Just a cheapo bead necklace for Tay since she loves to wear necklaces. We walked down and I had to use the bathroom. We went to McDonald's and there was no tp so Josh had to go in the boys to get me some. It was a long process and I had to go again later where Josh met his traveling friend from Oakland, CA. Poor guy could barely stay awake. Josh gave him the rest of our pesos. (I will tell you how we got these later) It costs .50 just to use a bathroom there. McD's was free! I saved a dollar right there! Woo hoo.
Then we proceed to find a store because we need to get money. I see some dresses for Tay I want to get her. The Mexican dresses that are hand-sewn like the ones I had growing up. We went to 3 stores and finally found one for a reasonable price. We pay with a visa and have to walk to an entirely different store. One that has the same items for sell there too. A cute lil baby crawling on the dirty floor. Oh what a sad life these poor people have. The receipt only shows what you pay in pesos and it says like 138 pesos or something like that. We are thinking we got screwed and have to buy with cash. Later ( after visiting 10 stores) we finally decide to get cash at an ATM. The stupid gringos we are, push the button for 50 pesos, thinking it is $50 dollars. It is all in Spanish, so we are not sure what we are doing. So, it cost us almost 2 bucks to get about 3 bucks and change. We walk out of the ATM realizing what stupid thing we did and 'bam'. There is the store I have been looking for! (at this point we are in town further than most tourists venture. There are no more people at every corner trying to sell us something.) We go in, buy
some lotion and ask if they can give us change back. Again, there is the language barrier. They see my Visa and say yes, yes.. like that is OK. We realize that he thinks we were wondering if we could pay with the card. So I take the card back and pay with the stupid 50 pesos I got at the dang ATM. The rest of the pesos is what Josh gave to the CA guy. I found some cute pants at a regular store that the Mexicans shop at and they were on sale for 348 pesos! That looks so weird to see on a tag. They ended up being $29 bucks. The rest of the time we spent looking for stuff for Josh. We finally found a shirt his size that he liked and they only took cash! Needless to say, we only bought the necklace, a dress and my pants. What an experience. I really wish I knew how to speak Spanish! Thanks a lot dad!
3 comments:
WHAT!!! I thought Latina girls were born speaking spanish. What a disappointment. j/k. I'm glad that you had fun! You look hot in your pictures.
Yeah seriously, if your dad taught you spanish when you were little then you could have taught it to me in Jr. High.
Thanks Dad.
How fun you went on a cruise together, I bet it was so nice to get some alone time. You are so freakin cute in the pictures. I miss your cute butt.
Yes, those shoes in my last post are the ones you gave me and yes I still like them, I wear them all the time (whether they match or not lol)
I bet you were so mad at that stupid ATM machine! I can just imagine. Oh, and chocolate molten cake EVERY night? I'm pretty sure that's what heaven is going to be like.
How fun (besides the shopping excursion)! Jake and I went on that cruise a couple of years ago (our first cruise) and it was a blast! I love cruises!!
Post a Comment