Mar 3, 2011

Our tough lil guy

So as it turns out, the fevers are from an infection caused by appendicitis. We had a full day of stomach pain. Major pain. He threw up twice. He slept off and on and when he was awake, he just moaned the entire time. His fevers lessened, but the worry grew. He had blood in his stool. We didn't know what was going on. The pain meds weren't touching it. We were so helpless. He didn't eat all day. Next thing we know, we are on the plane getting life flighted to PCMU again. Does life flight ever become a common thing? I don't think so. But it is never a good thing when you know the drill and where to go, what to do. In the ambulance from the SLC airport to the hospital, JD had just peed and it wasn't hooked to anything. It was a little bumpy and the ambulance floor was washed with JD's pee! The ambulance driver was pretty mad! I just laughed. Then we got to PCMU around 12:30 and my mom was here waiting. She stayed here until 5 am and then went to work all day. I don't know how she did it! Mom-you are the best. So today we did a CT scan of his stomach. Noooot fun. They gave him an edema and filled his bum full if liquid and put liquid through his PICC line so they could see his appendix good on the CT scan. He was not happy about that. Very uncomfortable. He thought he was gonna throw up, he had a fever, and needed to poop (obviously). CT scan showed he had possibly ruptured his appendix. We went to get an MRI and they told us no- he needs to wait for surgery. He is next on the list. So we went back to the room to wait. Then about 5:45 they took him away to remove his appendix. The Garn family came to visit, I felt bad that he was in surgery and we were just in the waiting room. Kelly came, my mom and my sisters, Tracie and Marti and her lil girl-Sincere. The doc came and told us that he had his appendix in 2 pieces. One was healing with scar tissue and the other was infected with poop in it. They were able to go in by scope and not make an incision. I was happy about that. The doc is a very high-profile doc, been on the news and documentaries. She did a great job. She said he must have had it rupture like 2-3 weeks ago. I couldn't believe it! How could he go that long without complaining? I am in shock. I feel bad too, like we should have caught it somehow. He has a tube from his nose draining his stomach and a tube fron his stomach draining any infection. And then the catheter. He is so thirsty and can't drink anything. I don't know how long he will have to go without. He may have to wait 4 days to eat. I can't even imagine that. He is already so little. When he got back to the room, he wanted to play Legos. He was very sad, he still couldn't drink, but he was able to sit up a little bit and build his Legos. It was nice to see! Thanks so much for the prayers and the thoughts, they really do help us get through!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Dropping by from Pooba's blog wishing you well. Your sweet boy is in my thoughts. I pray things turn around and he gets well soon and you guys can get back on track. Stay strong! :)

Kasey said...

Visiting from Pooba's blog. Prayers are going to you and your family.

Unknown said...

Stopping over from Pooba's to send get well wishes. Prayers are being said for you and your family.

Grand Pooba said...

It was so good to see you yesterday! I just wish I could have stayed longer until JD got out of surgery. Hopefully I will be able to stop by today.

I can't believe his appendix was in 2!!! What a tough kid!!! Hang in there De, you are one tough mama!!!

Heather said...

I'm so sorry about everything that you are going through. I'm glad that they were able to figure out what was wrong. What a tough little guy Jaydee is and you. I know that it must be so hard to watch him suffer. I hope that you can feel of everyones love for you and our Heavenly Fathers. Good luck in the next few days. I hope that he can still have his other surgery soon and just be done with this whole nightmare! We miss and love you!

Suzi said...

Stopping in from Pooba's, so sorry you all are going through this. Still sending lots of love and good thoughts. Hope all goes well with the rest of his surgeries.

Wehrle said...

So sorry De!! No little kid, or mommy, should have to go through everything you guys are going through!! hang in there... I hope things get better soon!!

scrappysue said...

here from kelly's sending you love and hugs from new zealand

Brooke said...

Oh my hun! I had no clue. I will add you to my prayers as well as the prayers of my church. Please I know we haven't talked in forever and a day, but if you need anything don't hesitate to ask.